Why We Must Fully Let Go of The Past to Move Forward
|Photo by Tachina Lee on Unsplash|
If you've been through anything in your life, you know that feeling of just wanting to move forward. Being able to open new doors, welcome in new opportunities, and start fresh feels great! But what happens when you find yourself repeating the same mistakes? Being triggered by the past? Reacting negatively to small problems and making them big? What happens is you hold yourself back from self-growth. If you want to know why we must fully let go of the past to move forward in our lives, keep reading.
1) When we are still affected by the past, we tend to repeat the same mistakes.
- Instead of being present, we are thinking with our old minds; thus, causing us to react in a way we would to old situations, instead of the situation at hand.
2) We tend to make small problems bigger when we are still affected by the past.
- This can give us a negative outlook on life, and cause us to be self-defeating.
- The problem with this is that we don't give ourselves the space to think, breathe, and address the small problems with a clear mind.
3) We tend to label new people and new situations negatively, when we haven't fully moved on from the past.
- Instead of seeing the good in the new person we've met, or the new job we have, we automatically look for something negative in them, to avoid getting hurt or disappointed. But, this just reinforces the cycle of hurt and pain, because we're not being present.
4) When we are still affected by the past, we take away our power.
- We take away our ability to accept what is, deal with stressful situations, and make it through hard times. Instead of moving forward, we take steps back.
The Bright Side:
When we finally choose to let go of the past, we are able to be POWERFUL. We are able to push through stressful situations, break through barriers, and grow. We are able to be happy no matter what's going on around us. We are able to accept how we feel, yet choose how we want to react. We are able to see a situation for what it is, instead of labeling it as good or bad. We are able to have a clear mind. Most importantly, we are able to break out of our destructive cycles. Letting go of the past can allow us to appreciate the people we love and be grateful for what we have. It can allow us to accept and enjoy life.
I hope this helped you if like me, you've been having a hard time letting go of the past. I believe that it's so important to release old hurt and old pain, so that we can be present and able to receive the good things headed our way. It may not happen instantly, but if we take it one day at a time, eventually we will make progress. Thank you for reading! Please share with anyone you feel may need to see this.