When You're A Control-Freak Coping with Uncertainty
|Photo by Raquel Santana on Unsplash|
Sometimes I feel like there is a never-ending list of goals I want to accomplish, yet I'm never achieving any of them. Instead, I'm worrying and over-analyzing on how to get everything done. #thestruggle. Stress-inducing and addicting, I have to constantly wake myself up out of that pattern. What I'm learning as a control-freak-coping-with-uncertainty is that I can't control everything. --- And that's okay. I'm learning to breathe and be aware of the present moment. I'm learning to let things go and just go with the flow of my life. It's easier said than done, but practice makes perfect. Gratitude helps me to see the things I have already done. It helps me to be thankful for what I have. When we're in that state of want, worry, or self-comparison, we tend to not see the good in our lives. And this is why it's important for me to accept uncertainty, as uncomfortable as it is. Are you a control-freak coping with uncertainty as well? You're not alone.
Here are three ways I cope with uncertainty in my life:
1) Practicing gratitude
- This is as simple as writing a list of things I'm grateful for after a long day. I find that I'm left with a sense of positivity and optimism, after I recount the things that I am thankful for.
- This practice leaves me feeling whole. It shows me that through uncertainty, a silver lining can be found.
- Think about some things that you are grateful to have in your life and write them down in a journal. Try to do this once a day and you'll be surprised by how blessed you really are!
2) Breathing and being mindful
- I noticed that when I was stressed I would hold my breaths in. My mother would always tell me to breathe in and out when I'm stressed, but I never really paid much attention to that. However, now, I make sure to be aware of my breathing. Doing this gives me a refresh + a reset, both physically and mentally.
- Right now, become aware of your breathing. Are you inhaling and exhaling deeply?
3) Finding joy and relaxation in activities to clear my energy
- Something I'm guilty of is turning on some music and dancing like a maniac. Lol. It doesn't matter if it's in the morning, when I'm making my bed, or in the evening when I simply need to have some fun. I find that dancing, listening to music, writing, listening to a positive podcast, reading a good book, or watching a show that I like shifts my energy to a new place when I'm stressed out or simply not feeling well.
- Find what makes you glow on the inside and turn to that when dealing with the stress that may come with coping with uncertainty.
I hope you found this post helpful, and I hope you are enjoying your 2018 so far. Let me know in the comments what you do to deal with uncertainty.