Letting Go of the Rush: Finding Happiness and Peace Within
|Photo by Conner Baker on Unsplash|
Oftentimes, I find myself feeling hopeless. I feel like life just isn’t happening fast enough. I sometimes feel depressed because I’m not where I want to be in different areas of my life. I feel a sense of urgency. A restlessness that wakes me up at night. These feelings are exacerbated when I compare myself to others, consciously and subconsciously. It feels like everyone is living perfect lives while I struggle to live mine. I often wonder if things will ever change. Will I ever accomplish any of my goals or live out my dreams?
In contrast, I have been able to find positivity within myself even in the midst of my gloomy circumstances. What’s helped me is accepting how my life is, actively choosing to not compare myself to others, taking life day by day, and giving myself the permission to make peace with where I am. I will go into greater detail below.
- I’ve chosen to accept what I can and cannot control in my life. It literally is what it is. I take responsibility for what’s in my reach and I leave the rest to God.
- I choose to find the good in the situation. I’m grateful for what’s going well in my life, as well as the little things.
2) Choosing to not compare myself to others
- No longer can I compare myself to anyone. The feeling that comes with it weighs too deeply on my heart. Feeling like I’m behind in life is soul-crushing. So, what I choose to do is focus on living my own life, getting to know myself, and embracing myself, instead of escaping into what others are doing. I also choose to feel happy for those who are doing what I desire to do because I know that one day that could be me.
3) Taking life day by day
- Instead of planning out the future and expecting for things to go how I want them to, I just take life one step at a time. I try to stay present and in the moment. Doing this takes a big weight off my chest and helps me to see the possibilities of today. When I wake up in the morning, I thank God for the sunshine peeking through my blinds. I feel a sense of invigoration knowing that it is a new day and that I can make decisions that uplift me.
4) Giving myself the permission to make peace with where I am
- My ego says that at my current age I should have "...." and I should be "....", but my inner wisdom knows that I am right where I am supposed to be and I have everything I need—even if it doesn’t feel like it.
- I give myself the permission to relax and enjoy my life even if I don’t have everything that I want. Even if I am not where I want to be right now. I give myself the permission to be human and imperfect. Doing this drops the sense of urgency that I sometimes feel and helps me to be present.
All in all, I’m not perfect and I do struggle with feelings of depression. But I’m so thankful for the positivity I have found within. I’ve learned that even if things seem hopeless in my life, there is always a way for me to feel better and for things to improve. Thank you for reading and I hope this message inspires hopefulness in your life.